After the evaluation, we will prescribe your treatment plan based on your specific case.
If your evaluation confirms early-stage CTS, conservative care will be recommended as a first step. Physical therapy treatment can be effective in reducing your symptoms and getting you back to performing normal activities. During your first visit with the physical therapist, be prepared to describe your symptoms in as much detail as possible, and say what makes your symptoms worse.
Depending upon the causes of your CTS, your therapy program may include:
• Education regarding:
- changing wrist positions (ie, avoiding prolonged bent wrist positions)
- proper neck and upper back posture (ie, avoiding forward head or slouching)
- safe use of sharp utensils, tools, or other implements, if sensory changes are identified
- “stretch breaks” during your work or daily routine
• Exercises to increase the strength of the muscles in your hand, fingers, and forearm—and in some cases, the trunk and postural back muscles
• Stretching exercises to improve the flexibility of the wrist, hand, and fingers
• Use of heat/cold treatments to relieve pain
• Use of a night splint to reduce discomfort
• A worksite visit to assess your work area. For example, if you sit at a desk and work on a computer, it’s important for the keyboard to be in proper alignment to help avoid working in a bent wrist position.
• Increasing the size of tool and utensil handles by adding extra material for a more comfortable grip
• Anti-vibration gloves or anti-vibration wraps around tool handles, if vibration is a factor at your workplace
We will also consider your home and leisure activities, with recommendations such as wearing gloves to keep the wrist/hands warm and limiting sports that aggravate the condition, such as racquet sports, until symptoms resolve.
The goals of physical therapy are to reduce your symptoms without the need for surgery, to enable you to be as active and functional as possible, and to help you resume your normal work, home, and leisure activities.
It Starts With You
At Hunter Professional Therapy, LLC, we believe that lifestyle choices play a huge role in our patients’ cardiac health. When you come to us, we’ll take the time to develop a personalized plan designed to keep you in your best possible shape. Dr. Hunter is dedicated to helping you improve your health, and we offer our services in a warm, welcoming environment. Your health is important to us and it should be important to you as well. Let Dr. Hunter at Hunter Professional Therapy, LLC help set you on the path toward a heart-friendly lifestyle. Call today for more information or to schedule your appointment.